About Mapillai Samba:
- Mapillai Samba or “Bride Groom Rice” is a native variety of rice, red in colour and is grown predominantly in Tamil Nadu.
- It demands little or no fertilisers or pesticides.
- It is a 160 days crop. Unfortunately, along with other native varieties of rice, mapillai samba has all but disappeared from our farms and markets, making way instead for highly processed, nutritionally inferior white rice. Very few passionate traditional farmers still grow such rice now. This rice comes from Thiruvannamalai in Tamilnadu.
Story : In olden days, it is essential for a man to show his bravery through many traditional sports.
These sports are conducted to test their physical as well as their mental strength. One such game was to lift a heavy rock, in which, the newlywed bridegroom is asked to lift the rock ( Ilavattakal) in front of everyone to display his physical power.. This red thick rice got its name as “Mappillai Samba” and was often cooked and served to newlywed bridegrooms.
Interesting Info - During Sangam period the kings served half-boiled mappillai sambarice to their guests and that seemed to be the practice then.
Even though the name of the rice is “Bride Groom's Rice”, it is meant for all who wants to get good energy and strength
2. Health Benefits
- Good for diabetics since it is has a low Glycemic Index.
- The high fibre content present in the rice eases digestion.
- The vitamin B1 present in the rice aids in healing stomach and mouth ulcers.
- Improves immunity and stamina
- Increases hemoglobin content
- Strengthens muscles and nerves
- Gets instant energy
3.Recipe & Cooking Method
How to Cook
It can be cooked as rice, or made as Idli, Dosa, upma, pongal etc.
How to prepare a gluten free mapillai samba rice
- Rinse the rice in water & soak it for 90 minutes.
- Keep a pot shaped vessel on the stove add water (qty should be 3 times of the rice) and let it boil.
- Add washed and soaked rice to boiling water, keep the stove in slow speed.
- Optional - Add a pinch of salt
- When it has almost absorbed all the water, check whether the rice is cooked, if not add little quantity of water.
- Repeat step 5 of adding little quantity of water untill the rice is cooked. Usually it takes about 30 to 45 minutes for Mapillai samba rice to be cooked well, there will be some water still left over with the rice.
- Drain the remaining water in a separate vessel, that's your Gruel - morning energy drink Mapillai samba's Gruel is so unique - known to provide high energy, a proven cure for ulcers, traditionally given to new mothers to regain strength
For Idly & Dosa making it is as similar to any other rice –
Mapillai samba rice idly batter recipe
Mapillai samba rice 4cups
Urad dhal 1 cup
Fenugreek 1 tspn
Method of preparation
* Clean and soak the rice for 5 hours .Dhal needs 1 hour soaking .
Use the soaked water while grinding, as it has many nutrients values .
Add salt and ferment the batter overnight.
Enjoy the healthy breakfast with your favorite chutneys.
- What is the use of Mapillai Samba rice?
It has high fibre content and Vitamin B1. The anti-oxidants giving the rice rich red colour. Increases haemoglobin and build immunity.
- Is red rice same as Mapillai Samba?
NoIs mappillai Samba raw rice or boiled rice?
Mappillai Samba (Boiled) Provides stamina, rich in fibre and iron content. Enhances digestive capacity and helps cure mouth ulcers. Cooking Instructions: This can be used as table rice. Consumed as boiled rice.
- Is mappillai samba rice good for diabetes?
Yes, diabetics patients can also consume this rice will not increase sugar
Nutrients (per 100 g) Nutritional values
Energy 359 kcal
Protein 7 g
Carbohydrate 89 g
Total dietary fiber 1 g
5. Product Details
PRODUCT NAME: MAPILLAI SAMBA
DETAILS: MAPILLAI SAMBA
INGREDIENTS: MAPILLAI SAMBA
BRAND: DELTA FOODS
WEIGHT: 1000 GM
MATERAIL FEATURE: VEGETERIAN
PACKAGE WEIGHT: 1005 GM