History says, ragi was first cultivated in Hallur region of Karnataka in the later Iron Age and has remained as one of the staple food choices of Karnataka since then. Ragi is also a widely grown annual plant in the arid areas of Africa and Asia. According to the eminent historian, K.T. Achaya, Ragi originated in East Africa and came to India around 2000 BCE.
Kali means paste like food prepared using flours of ragi (finger millet). It was a wholesome meal during Sangam era. It was enjoyed by people of strata. The millet flour is added slowly in a boiling water and stirred with a ladle to a paste like consistency.
* Excellent source of calcium which Strengthens bones reducing risk of fracture.
* Phytochemicals helps in slow digestion thereby controls blood sugar .
* Good sorce of iron well suited for expected mother and lactating mothers too .
* Rich in Vit C& E which boosts nervous system functions .
* Keeps malnutrition, degenerative diseases & premature aging at bay .
* Good choice for blood sugar and weight loss management .
Recipe & Cooking Method
Delicious recipes 😋 of Ragi/ Finger millet
* Ragi dosa/ idly
* Ragi biscuits
Ragi flour 1 cup
cardamom powder 1/4 tsp
Ghee 3 tablespoons
Ground nut 50gms
* Roast 1 cup of ragi powder in a low flame adding 1 tsp of ghee for 5 minutes
* Roast ground nut and cashewnut
* Add 150gms of Jaggery to 1/2 cup of water and filter it after it dissolves
* Grind the cashewnut and groundnut together with the ragi flour
* Add cardamom powder to the flour
* Now heat the ghee and add it to the ragi flour and make it into small and delicious laddus .
- Can we eat finger millet daily?
For those who are health conscious and are wary about what they eat, experts suggest that Finger millets should be a part of their daily regular diet.What is pearl millet good for?
Image result for pearl millet nutrition facts 100g
Pearl millet is very effectively used to maintain normal blood sugar levels. It has a high fiber content, which slows down digestion and releases the glucose into the blood at a slower rate, thereby helps to maintain normal blood sugar levels for a comparatively longer duration of time.
• What is the importance of finger millet?
The vitamins, minerals, and fiber found in finger millet can provide important health benefits. The potassium found in finger millet can help keep your kidneys and heart functioning properly. Potassium also helps your nerves transmit signals, which allows your brain and your muscles to work together smoothly.
• Does finger millet increase weight?
It is very low in calories but is extremely rich in magnesium, fiber, bioactive compounds, and other important minerals and vitamins. Millets are a vital part of a well-balanced diet and moderate consumption of this whole grain is linked with effective weight loss
• Is finger millet good for babies?
All millet varieties show high antioxidant activity. Millet is gluten-free and non-allergenic, hence can be used in celiac disease/ gluten insensitivity. Millets are alkaline and easily digestible for infants and toddlers
Finger millet is considered one of the most nutritious cereals. Finger millet contains about 5–8% protein, 1–2% ether extractives, 65–75% carbohydrates, 15–20% dietary fiber and 2.5–3.5% minerals. Of all the cereals and millets, finger millet has the highest amount of calcium (344mg%) and potassium (408mg%).
Product Name: Ragi/Finger Millet
Details: Ragi/Finger Millet
Ingredients: Ragi/Finger Millet
Brand: Delta Foods
Weight: 500 Gm
Materail Feature: Vegeterian
Package Weight: 505 Gm